Us Troops Receive Warm Welcome

DarkDance

Us Troops Receive Warm Welcome

Postby DarkDance » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:43 pm

Marines receive welcome surprise in "enemy" town

Virginian-Pilot (Hampton Roads) ^ | 9 April 2002 | Dennis O'Brien embedded with Task Force Tarawa

AMARAH, Iraq -- The Marines of Charlie Company did not sleep well Monday night.

The next day's mission was their most serious yet -- a probable tank battle with an Iraqi armored division in this city on the Tigris River. That night and the next morning, many Marines talked openly about the possibility of dying.

At dawn Tuesday, the company rolled out, a vanguard of a task force planning to attack the Iraqi tanks. But not much goes according to plan these days, and that's not always such a bad thing.

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:49 am

There you go with your selection again darkdance -at least you're consistent. :lol:

The people that were celebrating was an awesome sight and I'm happy for these people. However, no-one can really ascertain the EXACT reason they Were celebrating. Some no doubt suffered at the hands of the regime and were grateful to see its downfall but considering this is a Shiite community, it's quite clear to me that their hatred of Sunni Saddam is likely to stem from religious differences. Iraqis are too capable of political and religious differences like the rest of us.

Don't be fooled into thinking this war is over or that those people celebrating were representative of the entire nation of Iraq. The fact is that the most of eastern iraq are still in support of Saddam as are other areas. There is a long way to go yet before the glory-hunting begins.

I'll wait until every single person in Iraq are on the streets in their MILLIONS before I make my conclusions.

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:02 am

There you go with your selection again darkdance -at least you're consistent.  

i'm not sure what that means. are you saying that because the article darkdance chose to post was positive and not anti american? you select articles to post that interest you and contain issues that you want to talk about... i don't see any difference in darkdance selecting one that he feels compelled to discuss. :shrug:

The people that were celebrating was an awesome sight and I'm happy for these people.

agreed. :)

However, no-one can really ascertain the EXACT reason they Were celebrating.

it seemed to me that they were celebrating the beginnings of their liberation. by chanting "Mis-tah! Mis-tah! Bush good!"as the article stated, i think it was relatively easy to tell what they were celebrating.

Don't be fooled into thinking this war is over or that those people celebrating were representative of the entire nation of Iraq. The fact is that the most of eastern iraq are still in support of Saddam as are other areas. There is a long way to go yet before the glory-hunting begins.

so far the military has been very clear that they by no means think that this war is over. i believe they are very aware that there is much more to come.

I'll wait until every single person in Iraq are on the streets in their MILLIONS before I make my conclusions.

i sincerely hope that day comes. what an incredible sight that will be. :)

WHITE-POWER

Postby WHITE-POWER » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:30 am

Iraqis have proven they are lawless : hence the looting. americans have proved their incompetence and true colours by failing to curb this looting and by investing more time into securing the oil instead.

The fickle nature of people suggests what the Iraqis want today will be different to what they want tomorrow. The fact is they probably don't like Saddam, but he's the lesser of the two evils as far as their opinion of americans go. Iranian Shia' groups are already boycotting the yanks' role in this ahem, 'liberation'; the representation of Sunnis is practically non-existent. And what about the Kurds, Marsh Arabs and Christians of Iraq?

How do the bright sparks of yankie land propose to create a government that incorporates all these different groups, whilst still remaining true to the religious culture that these countries prefer to abide by?

Since all you warmongering hillbillies are in such approval of the war, I expect each and everyone of you 'armchair warriors' to know EXACTLY how it should be done. I don't know how to sort the situation as I never agreed to this war in the first place. :shrug: But since you're all so concerned about the civilians :rolleyes: and proud of your pro-war stance, I suggest you would've thought ahead enough to come up with a resolution.

This is a golden opportunity for all you ignorants to show your supposed intelligence.
Or have you not thought beyond the oilfields yet?

The truth is, Iraq is now rampant with criminals and thieves (americans included)
therefore their lawlessness and disorder needs to be curbed by a strong leader.

Is Saddam available?

The post-war conflict will be the greatest battle to watch. Iraqis will be helpless amongst american imperialism. There's going to be a lot of tears before bed time. :rolleyes:

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:09 am

Iraqis have proven they are lawless

:nono: They are deprived people who have been prevented of many things in their lives.

hence the looting

I'm sure we all would if we were up to our eyeballs in poverty :rolleyes:

failing to curb this looting and by investing more time into securing the oil instead

This does seem to be the case but I don't think the troops were entirely prepared by their governments for this ramification. How do you bring law and order back into a chaotic society?

The fact is they probably don't like Saddam, but he's the lesser of the two evils as far as their opinion of americans go.

This is probably very true....simply because Iraqi people always look upon the West as the invaders after their goods. Afterall, we have just barged into their homes. They can be just as patriotic as others. Iraq afterall was formerly the holy country of Mesopotamia. Those non-Muslim west nations that invade, will be hated simply for that fact.

the representation of Sunnis is practically non-existent. And what about the Kurds, Marsh Arabs and Christians of Iraq?

It will be a mammoth task, I just hope that like you mention, that a government is set up that incorporates them all and doesn't encourage Iraqis to lose sight of their religious beliefs. Alot of people think that an ideal democratic Muslim country would be one without religion being indoctrined its structure. however, George Bush swans around using Bible-talk - he uses it to justify himself, so it would be hypocritical for us to try and strip or water down the religious beliefs of the new Iraqi govt.

The truth is, Iraq is now rampant with criminals and thieves (americans included)
therefore their lawlessness and disorder needs to be curbed by a strong leader.

Is Saddam available?

Saddam did hold his people together by fear. It's a strategy that many employ and I'm aware that there are many Americans who don't want to come out and voice their anti-war stance in fear of being ostracised and labelled 'traitors'. But Saddam's strategy was way too extreme and harsh. His removal was vital.

I want him to be found, captured and tried for crimes against humanity, just as is being done to Milosveic and Pinochet. Why should he get away with it? All this exhaustion and arguing has to come to something.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:10 pm

Saddam did hold his people together by fear. It's a strategy that many employ and I'm aware that there are many Americans who don't want to come out and voice their anti-war stance in fear of being ostracised and labelled 'traitors'. But Saddam's strategy was way too extreme and harsh. His removal was vital.

Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" is a very good illustration of this. This documentary is a must-see.

Iraqis have proven they are lawless

Totally agree with Adriana on this one. Circumstances pushed them to crime. Wait till order is restored and then you'll be able to make a judgement. Even then, you can't make a general statement on a whole population because of some arses. Though I agree on most of the things you posted on this board, I can't agree all Americans are like that. Some protested and were bullied by their own fellow Americans. If now we ignore them by calling all Americans ignorants then they'll feel discouraged and maybe stop voicing their opinion and confronting their government....I don't want to be guilty for the extinction of America's last neurones.

WHITE-POWER

Postby WHITE-POWER » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:14 am

can't make a general statement on a whole population

I beg to differ....

Isn't it what the americans are doing? They see a few hundred Iraqis dancing in the street and they think that represents the entire nation. They think because Blair supported them, all us Brits do. They are the number one nation guilty of generalising and rushing to judgement. The attitude with the French embodies this.

If now we ignore them by calling all Americans ignorants then they'll feel discouraged and maybe stop voicing their opinion and confronting their government.

:D That would never have happened anyway! Even if you were to use diplomacy, these american sheep will be gladly led up the garden path. The fact is they, like you yourself said laura, are good at talking about 'stating their rights to freedom of speech' but when it actually comes to doing anything, they shrink back into their armchairs. The farce leading up to the court-appointment of their cowboy leader and their lack of questioning of the corruption that occured in Florida that caused it, is proof that they have a 'hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil' attitude. Compare this to the rest of us....... compare this to the French who protested as a nation for weeks to prevent that prick Le Pen getting into power. At the end of the day, ignorance and violence is the recipie for success as far as america is concerned.

The attitude of certain incapable americans on this board sums it up....... they are happy to respond to something that is easy to contest, but when someone posts up an educated commentary like the one adriana did ....... silence. :o

The case for war and anti-Bush was put forward.........I'd like to hear the other side now. But it'll never happen ...... rather, those individuals will hide behind some cocky arrogant rant such as 'we don't have to justify anything to you' ' we can't be bothered with you ' ....simply excusing the fact that they are incomptent and incapable of holding an opinion. All they know is what they see on CNN. .....What a wonderfully impartial news network(!)

And no doubt some will say, it's over now....let it go. But just because it's disappeared out the news doesn't mean anything. The volatile situation in Iraq is far from over. Deployment of even more military suggests this. And WHERE ARE THE WEAPONS by the way people? Actually, excuse me, I realise the yanks haven't had the opportunity to plant them yet.....we'll give you all another few weeks :D

Everything the anti-war protestors predicted is slowly but surely coming true. Funny how the yanks aren't reporting it in the news though. ;) The attitude is quite clear in Iraq: 'Iraqis are allowed to have any democracy they want...just as long as its american-approved' Oh, the irony!

don't want to be guilty for the extinction of America's last neurones.

The only people guilty of that is americans themselves.

God bless them. :pray:

P.S Personally, I'm blaming the SARS epidemic on Bin Laden and al-Quaeda :lol:

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sun May 04, 2003 12:50 am

So your from the UK? Which part do you hail from?

So sick of SARS its not even funny, which is sad as it is killing folks here

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Sun May 04, 2003 2:53 pm

which is sad as it is killing folks here

It's awful I know .....

But WP's remark is just taking the piss ... he/she has a blunt manner in case anyone had noticed(!)

Incidentally, there may be something prophetic about it - a lot of hawks in the media are insinuating that considering SARS started after the war 'finished' , that it may be Saddam who released it into the air!!!!!!

I don't know , some people............ :lol:

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sun May 04, 2003 5:54 pm

The SARS crap is been totally blown out of porportion by the media. How man people worldwide have actually died? Compare that to diseases of old

WHITE-POWER

Postby WHITE-POWER » Sun May 04, 2003 7:23 pm

Incidentally, there may be something prophetic about it - a lot of hawks in the media are insinuating that considering SARS started after the war 'finished' , that it may be Saddam who released it into the air!!!!!!

:lol: That's made my day!

So sick of SARS its not even funny, which is sad as it is killing folks here

The SARS crap is been totally blown out of porportion by the media. How man people worldwide have actually died?

Er......what exactly is your position on this then? On the one hand it's 'sad' on the other hand it's 'crap, being blown out of proportion...' so all the families of folks that have been killed, which you find sad, are wrong in feeling pain over a disease which you think isn't altogether that big compared to other diseases? :headache:

For crying out loud!

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sun May 04, 2003 8:24 pm

Actually its irrelevant what I think regarding Sars. I am basing my thoughts and comments on first hand experience living in a SARS inflicted province. My media has blown it all out of proprtion and made folks here scared. Does not make it any less upsetting for those who have lost loved ones.

If we are to look at worldwide statistics regarding infectious diseases, SARS death toll will barely make a dent.

I am out.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun May 04, 2003 8:40 pm

ADRIANA_A wrote: Incidentally, there may be something prophetic about it - a lot of hawks in the media are insinuating that considering SARS started after the war 'finished' , that it may be Saddam who released it into the air!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: could be, could be :steaming: ............ :bootyshake: .....proves he was human

Return to “General”