Apology For European Attitude

DarkDance

Apology For European Attitude

Postby DarkDance » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:08 pm

A Grateful Briton
By London Daily Mail
London Daily Mail | March 14, 2003

Dear America, you quirky mix of 280 million misfits that have somehow blended into the strongest nation in the world, I write to offer you four apologies and two vows.

I, James Black, a European passport holder whose parents are Scottish, whose wife is English, and whose four children are free to be whatever they may want to be (directly because of the sacrifice of your nation), am ashamed for pointing out to a colleague while visiting your country a few days ago that Winston Churchill was wrong when he said the biggest difference between Britain and the United States was the fact we both spoke the same language -- and instead, telling him that the real difference between our peoples was actually about 100 pounds per person.

I, who work as a journalist with the Daily Mail, one of Britain's national newspapers, and (directly because of the sacrifice of your nation) is able to say exactly what he wants whenever he wants without fear of death or imprisonment, also apologize for saying to the same colleague that many of the Americans I met were far less sophisticated and worldly than Europeans.

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:37 am

For God's sake....so you managed to come up with ONE European who agrees with you and one who works for the Daily Mail of all papers, aren't you a clever boy?? . I don't even know who he is , so why should I care. His kissing butt isn't echoed by me or any one I know. Besides, I have come across billions of comments made by your fellow patriots in our press, on the Internet, on television condemning Busha and this war. Shall we start posting all these up? :rolleyes:

And hello....there are many other countries that make up Europe; his opinion is not representative of us all despite his claims of millions supporting him. I can think of millions who DON'T SUPPORT YOU :lol: It's called balance :D . For someone so anti-Europe, why should you give a sh** what we think anyway? :shrug: f*** us, you don't need us do ya mate (only when it suits you.)

I have to give it you - great propganda. you should really work for the government. :laughup:

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:31 am

Besides, I have come across billions of comments made by your fellow patriots in our press, on the Internet, on television condemning Busha and this war. Shall we start posting all these up?  

go right ahead. :) but just know that there are just as many who feel the way that this gentleman does. i believe you called it "balance"?

And hello....there are many other countries that make up Europe; his opinion is not representative of us all despite his claims of millions supporting him.

okay. :shrug: this is also something we know.

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:56 pm

Your post makes no sense - you're just more or less affirming my point.

Obviously, there will be people who agree with the English man, but my point, if you managed to read between the lines, was that there are just as many who don't share his point of view. That's called balance.

okay.  this is also something we know.

I'm not sure you do :rolleyes:

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:21 pm

The U.S. Needs to Open Up to the World

To this European, America is trapped in a fortress of arrogance and ignorance

By BRIAN ENO

Posted Sunday, Jan. 12, 2003; 2.09 p.m. GMT
Europeans have always looked at America with a mixture of fascination and puzzlement, and now, increasingly, disbelief. How is it that a country that prides itself on its economic success could have so many very poor people? How is it that a country so insistent on the rule of law should seek to exempt itself from international agreements? And how is it that the world's beacon of democracy can have elections dominated by wealthy special interest groups? For me, the question has become: "How can a country that has produced so much cultural and economic wealth act so dumb?"

I could fill this page with the names of Americans who have influenced, entertained and educated me. They represent what I admire about America: a vigorous originality of thought, and a confidence that things can be changed for the better. That was the America I lived in and enjoyed from 1978 until 1983. That America was an act of faith — the faith that "otherness" was not threatening but nourishing, the faith that there could be a country big enough in spirit to welcome and nurture all the diversity the world could throw at it. But since Sept. 11, that vision has been eclipsed by a suspicious, introverted America, a country-sized version of that peculiarly American form of ghetto: the gated community. A gated community is defensive. Designed to keep the "others" out, it dissolves the rich web of society into a random clustering of disconnected individuals. It turns paranoia and isolation into a lifestyle.

lancesgrl
Abstracts Royalty

Postby lancesgrl » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:19 pm

ADRIANA_A wrote: Your post makes no sense - you're just more or less affirming my point.

i was simply illustrating that your "point" could go either way.

no no... rest assured, i completely understood what you were saying. i realize that you see yourself as omniscient, but really, your posts are rather simple to understand... and even easier to contest. :)

WHITE-POWER

Postby WHITE-POWER » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:01 am

My response to this original post will be american inspired:

he's from Wychwood, he wrote to the Daily Mail :no: and er.....his name is Black??
Ironic.

There...that's a good response(!)

lancesgrl - i know it isn't easy being carried on these boards (or even looking the way you do), but your post AGAIN re-affirmed what Adriana said: the point does go both ways, and the letter she posted up illustrates that. Of course you understand the simple. Simple is as simple does. However, you're confusing yourself luv. But it's okay..... I understand. :D

We'll all just continue humouring you.

And as for the omniscient point - try looking closer to home. :lol: Personally, I think she should quit her diplomacy with you God-wannabes and come over to my school of thinking. Of course some of her comments are easy to contest - but try answering the letter put in the 'America's Disgrace' thread or even my own points put forward in my debut post, then we'll start handing out awards for the best comebacks :rolleyes: Until then, just stick with flicking your bean over those nysnc gaylords. :D

WHITE-POWER

Postby WHITE-POWER » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:55 am

HA HA HA!!

From the letter:

may have made fun of America and Americans, but deep down I know this is only friendly banter between the greatest of friends -- and friends who should give their all to each other when called upon to do so.

So I, whose grandfather fought in both World Wars and had the good humor to suggest the Americans were late for both events,

:D

but the sense to point out they ensured victory when they finally did show up,

Excellent! This guy is obviously Jack Dee!! His sarcasm is jumping out the monitor!

Nice one Jack!! :beerchug:

How ironic that anti-Europe yanks like the ones on these boards rely on OUR knowledge to help justify their warped beliefs. :laughup: The only time they look for our help is when they need help with their knowledge. Obviously don't have enough faith in their own opinions :rolleyes:

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sun May 04, 2003 12:53 am

My demented scottish father, believes that the UK is its separate continent apart from Europe

ADRIANA_A
Supreme Member

Postby ADRIANA_A » Sun May 04, 2003 3:03 pm

It is odd how some British folk perceive themselves:

Some don't consider themselves as part of Europe whilst others do..... but the UK is part of the EU...wether or not we want to admit/deny it , isn't going to change that. The whole debacle over the Euro is proving this difference in perception. But then it can be more specific, in that Welsh people don't like being labelled 'British' as with some Scottish. That's probably because a lot of people abroad seem to consider the 'United Kingdom' and 'England' to be the same thing. My Welsh friends are insistent in being termed 'Welsh' and NOT 'British' <_< even though Wales is part of Britain.

This separatism attitude and the hostility between those who want to be distinguisehd from other Britons is always evident at national football games :lol:

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun May 04, 2003 8:31 pm

Strange that, I've been living in Scotland for almost a year and if there is one thing I am absolutely sure of is that teh Scots feel way more European than British. I am positively sure about it.

Adriana made a very good point here - because most people outside the UK and even in England tend to think of GB or the UK as a synonym for England, it makes Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland feel more reluctant to being labelled British. I know my Scottish friends don't take offence, but when I practised nationalities with my students none of them ever introduced herself as "British" they either said Scottish, Welsh, Irish, or English.

It is for the same reason that Scotland is more pro-European than England. The Scots feel that within Europe they gain in importance and power asopposed to within the UK. On teh other hand, teh English people in general are more Euro-sceptic because they feel they are losing in importance and power...they probably feel being shoulder to shoulder with America is more rewarding and makes them appear as important and powerful :shrug:

Nowadays both the Socttish people and the Scottish parliament - all parties included, especially the SNP - are in favour of Europe and wish they were more involved in the EU's activity.

However, the British Isles have a very insular way of life and thinking, the result being a very distinctive culture very different from what we have on the continent....at least that's sentiment resulting from my personal experience.

PS: I've just noticed that Darkdance's letter is from the Daily Mail, after quoting from teh SUn.....:lol: :lol: There's a christian shop on my street with a huge banner on their window saying "YOU ARE WHAT YOU READ" :laughup:

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sun May 04, 2003 8:37 pm

Strange that, I've been living in Scotland for almost a year and if there is one thing I am absolutely sure of is that teh Scots feel way more European than British. I am positively sure about it.

Well dear Dad was born, bred in Glasgow and thats how he feels.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun May 04, 2003 8:45 pm

It must have been some time ago. I'm very supportive of the European Union and Britain's attitude to it makes me enrage, so I never miss an opportunity to talk about it and that's my feeling after talking to many Scots who were born, bred, and still live in Scotland.

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sun May 04, 2003 8:49 pm

Is that a jab because he no longer lives there? Dad is very much of the old ways and thats his choice. Leaving does not make him love his country any less. Life simply brought him here, never ment to stay past two years. I actually think that its funny how he feels. Regarding, Europe, (just called and asked him) he believes its a great for the country

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun May 04, 2003 8:58 pm

A jab? hell no, I was just making a point. It's not about how much you love your country but about being up to date with the evolution of your country's political and sociological orientations. Something you can't really know about if you don't read about it, or experience it by living in the country. Nothing more to it.

It's pretty obvious though that most Scots think Europe would be more profitable for them as it's one way of escaping from England's grip: they hate the way England's reluctance stops them from being mroe involved in it.

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sun May 04, 2003 9:01 pm

A jab? hell no, I was just making a point. It's not about how much you love your country but about being up to date with the evolution of your country's political and sociological orientations. Something you can't really know about if you don't read about it, or experience it by living in the country. Nothing more to it

Nah, my father reads every scottish/english paper he can get his hands on and only watches the BBC news (has no use for American news) here so he is up to date. Its simply, his belief, nothing more.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun May 04, 2003 9:32 pm

:lol: Watching the BBC is probably the worst thing you could do! However, you won't get out of my mind that reading Scottish news and living in Scotland is teh same thing, I too had a subsctiption to the Guardian and watch British news, and even listen to teh radio......now I live here, and it's not even comparable, you get a different approach, different perception, different everything. Listening to a journalist talking about the people in general, or reading an article written by a biased journalist cannot give you the exact flavour of what's going on here.

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sun May 04, 2003 9:49 pm

Watching the BBC is probably the worst thing you could do! However, you won't get out of my mind that reading Scottish news and living in Scotland is teh same thing, I too had a subsctiption to the Guardian and watch British news, and even listen to teh radio......now I live here, and it's not even comparable, you get a different approach, different perception, different everything. Listening to a journalist talking about the people in general, or reading an article written by a biased journalist cannot give you the exact flavour of what's going on here.

Well its all he can get since leaving there, minus visits back and weekly phone calls to family. Arguing over this is getting old, enjoy your daily readings and life in Scotland

Return to “General”