Avril Lavigne Defines Punk, And It's Not Her

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:51 pm

Lennat Mak of MTV Asia caught up with Avril Lavigne and asked the Canadian singer what her definition of punk is. "Punk is not me and it's not my lifestyle," Lavigne said. "Punk is political, it's hardcore, it's... you know, it's a touchy subject. I hate it when people label me punk. My music is not punk and my lifestyle definitely isn't. I'm in the pop world."

Kick-a$$
Ultra Member

Postby Kick-a$$ » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:05 am

:unsure: and you point is? When I look at Avril I see, a modern, fun, hyperactive, shy and normal run of the mill chick. People lable her Punk mainly because she aint like any of those Pop Singers (Britney and Christina) who dress in tight pants. Honestly I like Avril for who she is not what she is. Thats the whole thing that people have to understand about her. Juz coz she doesnt wear tight pants doesnt mean she sux or anything!

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:01 pm

Kick-a$$ wrote: :unsure: and you point is?

Was that question posed to me? ;)

DarkSyne
Advanced Member

Postby DarkSyne » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:45 pm

So why does she make this :headbanger: with her fingers? I mean, that's a metal symbol, and she is pop. Like, I think that's because she didn't know what she really is. She doesn't know what to decide. Pop or punk? Uh, she is a poser.

Kick-a$$
Ultra Member

Postby Kick-a$$ » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:53 am

Well canadian I wanna know your thought on this as well hehe.

Also Dark...juz coz u do the ROCK ON symbol doesnt mean your punk/metal she might juz like doing it like heaps of kids do that at my school...oh well

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:07 pm

Well kick ass the reason I posted this was because people say that Avril claims to be punk yet she sings pop music blah, blah, blah, and this post just proved everyone wrong. Avril doesn't claim to be punk! She knows she pop! Get off her back!

As for Dark...by making the metal symbol doesn't mean that that person thinks they're punk or metal. I do it, and I'm not punk. I listen to punk and metal music, but I'm not punk. For f*ck sakes, Lance Bass from 'N Sync makes that sign and he's a freakin country boy. He's obviously not punk. :headbanger: <------this symbol has officialy lost all meaning. Everyone does it nowadays and it doesn't necessarily mean what it used to when it first came about.

DarkSyne
Advanced Member

Postby DarkSyne » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:07 pm

I think it's stupid to do that symbol if you're not rock.

AngelOfMusic
Abstracts Royalty

Postby AngelOfMusic » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:41 pm

where was it written or defined that that sign was for rock only- that sign is a universal sign to show that you are into to something- you say you think it is stupid to do that symbol if your not rock- i say i think its stupid if you think that only rock people are entitled to do that.

DarkSyne
Advanced Member

Postby DarkSyne » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:10 pm

AngelOfMusic wrote: where was it written or defined that that sign was for rock only- that sign is a universal sign to show that you are into to something- you say you think it is stupid to do that symbol if your not rock- i say i think its stupid if you think that only rock people are entitled to do that.

I give a sh**. She is still a poser and that's that.

Kick-a$$
Ultra Member

Postby Kick-a$$ » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:55 am

Avril is Avril she will do what she wants when she wants! Why bother sitting here arguing that she's a poser!? She is just being what she wants to be she can dress like a skater chick and sing pop music doesnt mean a thing! Like i can dress country and sing rap music?! (even though i wouldnt) she wears what she wants coz she likes it! Everyone wears what they want even if thier old or what it dont matter!?

CrazyCanadianChick
Supreme Member

Postby CrazyCanadianChick » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:23 pm

DarkSyne wrote: I give a sh**. She is still a poser and that's that.

How the hell is she a poser??? You still have not been able to justify your statement! The whole point of this post was to prove to you people that she IS NOT a poser!! She knows she's not punk. She admitted that she's pop!!! Now how exactly is she a poser?? By the way she dresses? Let her have her own style! If she was in fact a poser, she would have came on to the scene dressing like Christina and Britney and conforming to the typical "pop" stereotype! THAT would have made her a poser! But instead she's proved to everyone that you can be yourself and that you don't have to take off your clothes to sell a record. I listen to metal, punk, rock, and alternative but I shop at American Eagle and Abercrombie. Because I dress this way, does it make me any less of a punk rock and metal fan? I don't think so. All of you people that hate Avril are just not used to seeing a real person in the pop scene and are too used to all the half-naked pop princesses and cheesy boy bands out there.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:45 pm

She is not punk? :huh: Was she drunk? :lol: No, kidding, it doesn't matter where you belong, it's all stereotyping. What surprises me is that she uses this terms (of stereotyping!)

Kick-a$$
Ultra Member

Postby Kick-a$$ » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:59 am

Avril is not a punk chick, even though she does like Skating and havin a good time and the use of the ROCK ON sign doesnt mean Punk.

Avril is being herself like the new gen. artists (M Branch, V Carlton and A Lavigne) They are all themselves they prove that you dont have to walk around starkers in a clip to sell ya music plus Britney and Christina diluted the pop industry and Avril Michelle and Vanessa are having the ride of thier life at the moment so let em be, Who cares what Avril says she loves her fans, she produces music we like what else do ya want from the lil Canadian chick!? Theres not much you can ask from here. Juz let her be she knows she aint no Punk she said shes Pop.

Avril is Avril thats all that matters so who cares!? NOPE NOT ME!

juliette
Advanced Member

Postby juliette » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:26 pm

avril's music is pop-rock. avril's style is hot topic pseudo-punk. if i had $150 i could buy a whole avril wardrobe in one afternoon. BUT i appreciate that she makes enjoyable music that doesn't pander and she dresses however she damn well pleases and doesn't have to flash her titties to sell a record.

Stereodee

Postby Stereodee » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:08 pm

i think if she's not trying to be punk but she seems like it, shes not a poser. i'm a dumbass though. :huh:
the rock on symbol can NEVER lose it's meaning. it's universal sign but people are using it wrong these days whick really sucks. so PLEASE PEOPLE use your signs wisely! :headbanger:

Kick-a$$
Ultra Member

Postby Kick-a$$ » Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:31 am

Avril is just being her little self just like me and you...I wear baggy pants, skate shoes, hats (sometimes), baggy clothes, brand labels (even though thier sports labels eg Addidas, Champion) I wear long socks SO!? does that meme punk!? Nope I just like those clothes!!

Dont get me wrong i am who I am and dress however i wanna and thats what Avril does! Just like you's and me!

She aint a poser! She aint a Punk.... she looks like a damn Avril to me! :D

FairyPrincess86
Supreme Member

Postby FairyPrincess86 » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:38 pm

YES!!

I am so happy she said that.

I don't like her much but it's cool she settled that sh**.

TinyElaine

Postby TinyElaine » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:45 pm

That makes me like her more. . .
*Elaine*

Isied
Supreme Member

Postby Isied » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:01 pm

This is nice. She´s a cool girl.

PervyHobbitFancier
Advanced Member

Postby PervyHobbitFancier » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:20 pm

I know weve pretty muche settled this topic, but i have not had my say yet.

First, she has said in many interviews before that she was a rocker. someone said she was destined for pop stardom, and her reply was 'no, no, no, ROCK stardom.'
but good for her she realized thats not true,
and the rock on finger sing has always meant like, rock on, and its been abused and sold out. The entire 'punk' look and way of life has been sold out. I used to wear ties all the time before avril ever out out a CD, but now i dont because everybody is like, 'oooh, avril!' and im just like, no thanks. because it offends me, as i am what i guess is defined as 'old' punk, not newness punk made by avril, simple plane, GC, ect.

so, oh well, just had to say what i was thinking.
i still dont like her, and never will. :D

Kick-a$$
Ultra Member

Postby Kick-a$$ » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:37 pm

yes, well everyones allowed thier own opinion like i thin kBritney is a slut. thats my opinion and im intitled to it i dont have to like someone coz someone else does, and im happy that you realize that.

Just a little thing though- does it really matter what she is? Most people buy the cd's for the music not the artist. Though I dont really care how well Avrils career goes just as long as she makes good tunes and gives us that buzzing feel in ourbellys. :D

PervyHobbitFancier
Advanced Member

Postby PervyHobbitFancier » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:53 pm

Kick-a$$ wrote:
Just a little thing though- does it really matter what she is? Most people buy the cd's for the music not the artist.

I agree completely. I just cant take the music seriously, if i dont take the artist seriously.

Kick-a$$
Ultra Member

Postby Kick-a$$ » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:39 am

I agree with you too about can't take the music seriously if you dont understand or take the artist seriously. Just look at me and TaTu I cant understand them, maybe coz im not lezo or gay haha anyway, i hate thier music, clips and everything coz its so gross kinda. Thier music is about girls loving girls theres nothing wrong with it but i cant take it seriously coz i dont relate.

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:30 pm

Avril has been a poser, trying to portray a certain image just so it goes up against the Britneys and Christinas. Her image doesn't fit her music, it never has. Now that she's famous, she can shed the true light that she's really pop and that's who she is. I read in an article, in order for her to get attention she would have to go pop, and that was that. There was no punk, but the 'punk' was her image. I find her a bit annoying, just like Britney. Fame seemed more important to her, than staying true to who she really was.

PervyHobbitFancier
Advanced Member

Postby PervyHobbitFancier » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:20 pm

PreCiouSbAbY wrote: Avril has been a poser, trying to portray a certain image just so it goes up against the Britneys and Christinas. Her image doesn't fit her music, it never has. Now that she's famous, she can shed the true light that she's really pop and that's who she is. I read in an article, in order for her to get attention she would have to go pop, and that was that. There was no punk, but the 'punk' was her image. I find her a bit annoying, just like Britney. Fame seemed more important to her, than staying true to who she really was.

oh yay, i love you now precious!! :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :kiss2:

Kick-a$$
Ultra Member

Postby Kick-a$$ » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:00 pm

hhmmm...This Topic Is Very Highly Talked About LOL.

LETS FORGET THIS TOPIC LOL! IT SBORINGS NOW!

PervyHobbitFancier
Advanced Member

Postby PervyHobbitFancier » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:34 pm

Yeah, but I still say she is a poser.... <_<

Return to “Avril Lavigne”