The Beauty Of Vaudeville

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Tue May 24, 2005 3:18 pm

So this story that I began to write awhile ago, I never finished. I posted it, and it seemed to disappear into oblivion so I'm going to try it again. I edited a few parts out because I just didn't like how I story progressed in some ways. Most of it's still the same, so here goes...

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:purple'><span style='font-family:Times'>The Beauty of Vaudeville</span></span></span>

<span style='color:purple'><span style='font-family:georgia'>Chapter 1: Within the Walls of Soul’s Cafe

The rain was pouring faster and faster, as the melancholy of the night formed. The window left a broken image of memories, as if the reflection in the glass told a story back to me. The world was running past itself and as the people ran holding their umbrellas and books over their heads, it made me wonder when life would simply take a breath. Maybe I was the one who was so compelled to breathe because in this chaotic world that I was wonderfully situated in, it was only driving me more over the edge. I used to be this happy girl, in this happy world, and just content at being me. Rainy days are just a time for nostalgia for the days of what used to be.

Another door opened and I saw a figure of an old man with a beard walk in. He held his cane with a tight grasp and walked slowly to the counter.
“I want a coffee.â€￾ He mumbled, and put down a few coins. He only had twenty-five cents on him, but I gave him the coffee anyway. It was too cold and too rainy a day to deny a man his coffee. After all it was my own remedy to life.

Our most customers come on days when the sky is gray and the water droplets fall from the clouds. They find Soul’s Café as a safe haven from the dankness and the cold. McDonald’s and Bailey’s Sandwich Shop is down the street, but no one goes there for the rainy days are reserved only for Soul’s Café. The good thing is in the town of Vaudeville it always rains, and it’s great for business. I saw the familiar faces walk in one by one through the door with the laughter and smiles on their faces. The people here always have some story to tell or something to say. It is like a collective group of people who join together occasionally to speak about their heartbreaks, loves, and losses. I never actually join in on the conversations but it is always fun to hear the customers chatter away.

Mrs.Chimein is always the first to initiate the process of conversation, and does not let herself be held back.
“Hello my darling dear Kara, how have you been?â€￾
I smile at her as a sign of my listening ear, and pour her a cup of coffee. Before I can even answer, Mrs.Chimein begins at her usual revelations of her love life.
“Douglas is the first man who has ever treated me this well. I think this is the first time in a long while that I am happy.â€￾ She goes on about Douglas, who is a mechanic at the local gas station, and all the wonderful things he does for her and eventually ends up talking about all the things he doesn’t do for her. At the end of week, it is the “we aren’t together anymoreâ€￾, and next week it starts all over, only another man.

“Today we must make a special toast,â€￾ announced Mr. Herald. “I want everyone to know that I will be a new man after two weeks. I will be marrying the love of my life, Cecilia.â€￾ Mr. Herald is that odd character in Vaudeville who always has something to say, and toasts to make. He has been making the same toast for a month now, and letting the world be known of his engagement. No one in Vaudeville has been invited to his wedding, so no one in the room pays the man much attention. I listen to him and smile,; he always wears the same somnolent expression.
“Will you stop the marriage announcements, we know and we’re not even invited. So just shut it!â€￾ quipped Richard Burkes. He was one of those unlikely few in this town who always displayed a character of resentment. Everyone thought he was a man who was far too lonely to be living in Vaudeville.

Elizabeth Schaffer walks in seconds after and I remain expressionless as usual. She is the pretty girl in town who is always seen as an object of all the young men’s affections. I never understood her, and it was never a matter of jealously. Although most of the people who have heard me mention her name think that that is what is exactly on my mind. The people in Vaudeville are quite peculiar because outside in the rest of the world Elizabeth would be categorized by what they call as a “b****.â€￾ She is the epitome of the word, with the eyes rolling and smirks glistening through her pearly white teeth. When no one is looking at her she makes it her duty to make eye contact with me. I refuse to look at her, because I know it will eventually end up with “I know you were looking at me cause you are jealous. I am so much prettier than you.â€￾ Yes, to some that may seem unrealistic but that is exactly word for word what she said. I bare no heed to her, and just continue to do my job. Elizabeth isn’t too fond of the silent treatment, because for her there’s nothing worse than being ignored.

Being the kind waitress that I am, I approach her table and present her my smile. If it ever gets too hard to smile, Vaseline always does the trick.
I wait patiently as she stares at the menu, pointing at each thing and then saying “no.â€￾ She tells her friend to answer because obviously she needs more time. I take both their orders and kindly snatch the menu from Elizabeth’s hands. I guess the whole sweet act isn’t so easy as it seems.</span></span>

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Tue May 24, 2005 9:40 pm

do I have to mention it IS a FanFiction lol. Try reading it, if you don't like it, tell me. I need some constructive criticism..
I promise i'll give u a cookie! :lol:

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Tue May 24, 2005 9:42 pm

:clap: I'm glad to see you're back at it with this story. I'm definitely reading it the second time around and I can't wait to see the changes that you've made.

Vaudeville has quite the set of characters. And they're all interesting!

betty boop
Ultra Member

Postby betty boop » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:21 am

I'm interested to see what happens.

Do I still get a cookie? :D

PreCiouSbAbY
Supreme Member

Postby PreCiouSbAbY » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:47 pm

yeah u do!!
i'm feeling a cold reception though, so i don't know if i should continue...

<span style='font-family:georgia'><span style='color:purple'>Chapter 2: Crushed

By now, Elizabeth has taken all the energy out of me. Four orders later, and she still isn’t satisfied, but I carry on. If it wasn’t for Bradley I think I would have broken down in front all the customers. Bradley is the only guy in Vaudeville who isn’t in love with Elizabeth and who else would be more perfect for me. We both share the same dislike of her and he is a pretty decent guy. “You always want what you can’t have,â€￾ and the motto rings true for Elizabeth who wants Bradley. I think that’s where most of her hatred for me stems from. Bradley doesn’t want her, and because he has shown an interest to be my friend, she loathes it.

Speaking of friendship, it has always been a solidarity thing for me. I never would want to wreck something so valuable as that. I once did, and I never forgave myself for it. Many of the people who live here don’t know much about me. I am the mystery girl who suddenly appeared in the town, and simply joined with no questions asked. I think people sometimes just come here to figure me out, to gain some kind of information in hopes to cure their curiosity. But I have kept my story to myself for so long that I sometimes have forgotten why I ever came here… but I have never truly forgotten. Like I said, the reflection of the glass reminds me just like the rain does. Wherever I seem to go, the memory of him just follows. Every time I try to escape it, the memory revisits stronger than ever.

“Hi beautiful,â€￾ Bradley stared down at me. He was too tall, and my poor neck ached from looking up so high. I smiled and pointed to his usual table in the back.
“Or you know you can sit right beside the really beautiful Ms. Schaffer.â€￾ I winked. He gave his say-what look, and shook his head. “Sorry, I just had to.â€￾

I handed him the menu, and he began to peer through it as if it was his first time here. “Any day now Bradley, after all you are the only customer.â€￾ I said sarcastically.
“Hm, I believe I want a double cheese McChicken with fries.â€￾
“Alright, now go outside and walk three blocks and your meal will be waiting there.â€￾
“But I want it here.â€￾
“Sorry, that is the only way you can get it.â€￾
“Will you get it for me?â€￾
I gave him a look, “I’m not walking down to McD’s to get you a burger.â€￾
“I love you,â€￾ he said with his cheesy sad face.
“No.â€￾ I shot back a look.
“Alright fine, then give me a BLT and I’ll be happy.â€￾
I smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheek. In the corner of my eye, I saw Elizabeth twitch and I secretly giggled my way back to the kitchen.

The rain began to pour even harder, and my stomach began to feel sick. Most of the people had emptied the café with a few still eating their meals. Bradley watched as I cleaned each table and took away plates. Tonight the air felt eerie and ill-fated with my intuitions driving me wild. I never know whether to trust it or not, but sadly it has never yet been wrong.

“Why are you waiting for me?â€￾ I asked him, dreading what could possibly happen next.
“I want to take you home.â€￾
“But I’ll be here for another hour or so,â€￾ I lied.
“I highly doubt it will take you an hour to close this place up.â€￾
I nodded, “Oh yes it will. I still have to wash the dishes, and…â€￾
“Then I will help you.â€￾ He took out a washcloth and began drying the plates.
“No, don’t,â€￾ I took the plate from his hand. “This is my job, I don’t want you helping me.â€￾
“But if I help you’ll get out much faster. I know you’re tired, why don’t you just let me help you.â€￾
“That’s really sweet and all, but I want to finish this on my own and don’t worry about me getting home. I don’t want you to wait.â€￾
He sighed, but still pulled out a chair and sat on it. I grew more nervous with him staring at me like he was trying to read my body language. What body language anyway, the one that washed tables and cleaned the guck out of plates. I tried to ignore his glances at me, and tried to pretend he wasn’t there, which was no help at all.
Before I knew it, he was already moving towards me and I could feel his presence behind me. He was ready to say something, something I was not ready for. How I remembered the moment so vividly, as I retraced it back two years ago.

“Oh come on, stop being so silly. What’s on your mind?â€￾
“You really want to know?â€￾
“Why else would I be asking?â€￾
“I don’t want things to change between us though. I mean I love how we’re such good friends that I can rely on you for anything, you’re my support system Mar, and I love you for that. I love you so much it sometimes hurts, and I didn’t think love would hurt. I guess all I am trying to say is, I hope that somewhere there’s a place for me in your heart like the way you’ve stolen my heart.â€￾
I stood speechless, with the tears flooding through my eyes. “I...I don’t know what to say.â€￾
“You don’t have to say anything at all.â€￾ And with that his lips crashed into me like the ocean waves of summer.

“Boo!â€￾ I broke out of my daze and suddenly jumped out of my body.
“God, you scared the sh** out of me!â€￾ I punched Bradley in the arm.
“Sorry babe, it was getting a little too quiet in here.â€￾ The rain was enough noise for one day.
“It’s okay.â€￾ I went back to cleaning the table, and I could sense the frown on Bradley’s face.
“You better not have a sad face on.â€￾
There it was, nicely plastered for all to see. “You really don’t know how to quit do you.â€￾
“Can we please just leave?â€￾
“Bradley I said you could go, I have work to finish.â€￾
“That’s your last table Kara, what else do you have to do? I will do it, just let me do it. I want to do it.â€￾
I put my hands on my hips, and sighed “Alright, take me home.â€￾

The car ride home was silent, except for the rain and the funny noises Bradley’s car made. I could feel the tension in the air. He was thinking, and thinking hard. What was on his mind? I hated having to read a guy’s mind, because I never could presume anything. Tonight, I felt it though more than ever.

The car stopped in front the building where my apartment was situated. Be strong Kara, tell him nothing but the truth. I tried to fight off my guilty conscience, and tried to listen to my heart. The heart that suddenly sank inside when all he said was goodbye. Goodbye? No, I was sure he was going to confess his love for me. He has to, I felt it and my intuition is never wrong. I didn’t no whether to praise the lord or break out in tears. I wanted to feel loved, but not break someone’s heart, but I much rather be loved. I gave him a hug reluctantly, and trotted my way up the elevator. I could think this is like those cheesy romantic movies where he’ll suddenly stop the elevator from closing and there he was, “I love you.â€￾ But no the elevator closed abruptly, and I watched the clock on my hand move in slow motion. The tick-tocks of the second hand felt like eternity, and finally a minute later I arrived at my apartment door. I should sigh with relief, an unexpected relief but I was not sighing. I opened the door to the apartment, and without taking my wet coat or purse off I fell to the floor and cried. It was a cry of confusion and too many emotions.

The door was left open, and I heard the sound of footsteps. The footsteps began louder and louder until it stopped near my door. He was there piercing through me and again my intuition kicked in. He saw my tears and how I fell helplessly to the floor. Bradley closed in on me, and kissed my forehead. Before I knew it, I was caught in the trance and I had committed the unforeseen. We kissed until I could barely breathe. Bradley’s sight of happiness put a damp on everything. What was I doing? I was entangled again in what I had tried to run away from.
“Please go.â€￾ I whispered.
“What?â€￾ Bradley said startled.
“Just go!â€￾ I shouted, and he leaped out the door before I could say anything else.</span> </span>

betty boop
Ultra Member

Postby betty boop » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:19 am

Please do continue :( . And bring more cookies. :P

whatchagot4meMRJT
Abstracts Royalty

Postby whatchagot4meMRJT » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:08 am

Oooh, I like how you reveal the details of her past relationship. Sounds like she's afraid to love again. Bradley seems like a genuinely nice guy, though, so at least have him as friend for life, if nothing more.

Return to “Fan Fiction”