Mistakes in 'Two Towers' do fans an injustice

dazed410
Abstracts Royalty

Mistakes in 'Two Towers' do fans an injustice

Postby dazed410 » Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:16 pm

By JOHN MARK EBERHART
Knight Ridder Newspapers
When a reader walks into a cinema, he walks hand in hand with risk.

Hollywood has a spotty record in adapting books to the big screen. Anyone who saw John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany get minced up into Simon Birch knows what I mean.

Before this diatribe officially begins, let me be clear: I think Peter Jackson's version of The Fellowship of the Ring is excellent -- which makes me wonder how in Middle-earth the director went so wrong with The Two Towers, the second part of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I do not expect films to parrot books; they are different media. I have learned to deal with disappointment over missing passages; films must be concise.

But when I walked out of the cinema after viewing The Two Towers, I walked out seething. Jackson has wronged Tolkien fans with this manipulative corruption. What's so sad is that so much of the film is good: The Two Towers admirably depicts the epic battles, the gloom of Mordor, the fear that goodness is being shrouded in a fog of evil.

orleez#1babe

Postby orleez#1babe » Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:40 pm

Wow, you must really feel deeply about this. Aaahhhhh, but,
do not take it very seriously, because i sort of freaked out when i came out tof the theatre, having read the book first (i say "book" because i am not stupid enough to treat the LOTR as a trilogy), and realizing that they missed out on one of the paramount points in the two towers.

It's okay, it's only a movie.
Those who truly know the LOTR understand the power of this scene, and those who don't will be guided by those who do. :D

Just forget about it.

Milla

dazed410
Abstracts Royalty

Postby dazed410 » Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:00 pm

I didn't write it..it's an article :unsure:

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:26 pm

:lol: Genna.....your writing skills betrayed you!!

Well, I haven't read them so plese, guid eme. What is it I need to know?

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:42 pm

Journalists are like that kids, writing about things we do not noyice so that we can notice them.

But this really sounds like the geek band from movie-mistakes.com I pesonally do not pay attention to any mistakes.

dazed410
Abstracts Royalty

Postby dazed410 » Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:31 pm

laura l wrote: :lol: Genna.....your writing skills betrayed you!!

L, :rofl: :rofl:

I don't really care so much either...I am just the poster dudes!! :lol:

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:24 pm

dazed410 wrote: I don't really care so much either...I am just the poster dudes!! :lol:

Do you plead guilty? :lol:

Damn people, don't joke about that, I heard freaks who started talking about the "mistakes" in the film when I was still walking down the stairs to get out of the room :blink: You know, the kind with LOTR t-shirts, and LORT pop corn, and LOTR everywhere :unsure:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:50 pm

laura l wrote: I heard freaks who started talking about the "mistakes" in the film when I was still walking down the stairs to get out of the room :blink: You know, the kind with LOTR t-shirts, and LORT pop corn, and LOTR everywhere :unsure:

OMG, I'm one of these :lol: ... I really don't know what would you think if you passed near me...

dazed410
Abstracts Royalty

Postby dazed410 » Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:09 pm

:lol: you two prob have passed each other already!! :rofl:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:17 pm

dazed410 wrote: :lol: you two prob have passed each other already!! :rofl:

:lol:

orleez#1babe

Postby orleez#1babe » Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:35 pm

wow...i'm late.
i've missed a lot.
but...don't mistake me for an idiot...i know you didn't write that because no one would spend all night typing that up just to point ou a "movie-mistake". i think my post just sounded like i thought you wrote it.

Basically, i'm just trying to avoid newcomers reading my reply to the article, and then think that i'm and imbisile.(hee hee... i even spelled that word wrong)

Oh... and no, i am not one of those fan-freaks. (no-offense Claire)
i hope i never will be, and i don't really care if one of the scenes in the book was dropped out in the movie.

and Laura...you didn't miss out on anything. i just simply thought that this was one of the more symbolic and meaningful scenes in the book.

Sorry if i scared anyone,
the always dazed and confused Milla :P

orleez#1babe

Postby orleez#1babe » Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:38 pm

oh..genna...you've gotta do somethin' 'bout that signature of yours...it's great and all, but it's just gigantic and, as you all know, i'm a little delicated with being logic, so it's really hard for me to read the posts and replies and keep them organized in my head straight. No offense. :)

i love you all,
Milla

dazed410
Abstracts Royalty

Postby dazed410 » Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:54 pm

umm I know, but no sorry! I will change it soon, but just live with it...:rolleyes:

orleez#1babe

Postby orleez#1babe » Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:41 pm

thanks, hun :kiss:

chamorru81

Postby chamorru81 » Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:56 pm

:D oh well not everyone is going to be happy with it. i think people who are really really into the books like this guy who wrote the article should just not see the movies. its never going to be just like the book and if they are going to be picky then just dont see the movie because nobody is forcing them to. :P not to sound mean, but im just saying its good to just see the movie and enjoy it for what it is and not expect it to have all the main parts that the book has. maybe its good that it doesnt because i think these movies probably have made a lot of people read the books that would have never picked them up before. :)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:32 pm

Yeah, I actually care about the details. They're important here.

But pointing out the mistakes one by one is already crossing the geek borders!

orleez#1babe

Postby orleez#1babe » Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:18 am

i agree with chamorru81. totally.

i actually have nothing more to say because chamorru just pointed it out.
yeah, anyways....

Claire, honey!
I missed you(you know i'm just playin')

Milla

orleez#1babe

Postby orleez#1babe » Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:22 am

claire, you're right.

i forgot... merry christmas!!!

Milla

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:26 pm

orleez#1babe wrote: claire, you're right.

'bout the geek borders? Yeah they exist! :lol:

orleez#1babe

Postby orleez#1babe » Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:35 am

yes, about the geek borders and also about how the details are actually important here.

Milla

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:54 pm

*blab* Happy that we're on the same opinion!

orleez#1babe

Postby orleez#1babe » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:53 pm

yep, i'm happy too! :D

milla

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:45 pm

I don't see how being a faithful follower of the books equates a person as being a geek. I have read and followed the books, I. too was disapointed that these mistakes or errors occured. For example, the book ends much differently than the movie, they have left out a major part. I am sure it will happen in the third but I was very disappointed

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:16 pm

My flatmate told me that in the Fellowship, after a battle, there is a soldier in the background who was pretending to be dead, he must have thought the director said "cut" so he opened up his eyes and started standing up when he saw it wasn't over yet, so he laid back and pretended to be dead again :lol::lol: I haven't noticed it, I'll ask him to show me where and when exactly and I'll tell you

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:31 pm

Gosh I have the DVD currently, would love to see that

chamorru81

Postby chamorru81 » Sat Dec 28, 2002 9:46 pm

" so he opened up his eyes and started standing up when he saw it wasn't over yet, so he laid back and pretended to be dead again

:D lol!!! omg thats so funny. i cant wait for the dvd so i can catch that. i hope people arent to dissapointed by this movie. i still think it was good and i plan to read the book(s) when i get the time. so im guessing there will be three diff dvd's like the ones for FOTR right? sorry i know you guys probably wont know that yet, but just askin for whenever anyone finds out. :)

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:25 pm

The DVD for the first movie is already out. I highly recommend the special edition as the audio commentaries and interviews are amazing

orleez#1babe

Postby orleez#1babe » Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:57 am

wow, i have the extended version, and i just need somone to point it out for me. when somone finds that scene, post it, pleease. :D

that will be so funny!!!! :lol:

Milla

chamorru81

Postby chamorru81 » Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:03 am

oh im a dumb ass cuz i have the extended dvd for FOTR i thought that scene was in TTT :D what part is that in? i was talking bout the TTT dvd. i was just wondering when they are gonna say when that one comes out. :P

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:04 pm

I'm not with my flatmate because of the hols and my exams I'll be in France for 3 weeks, but I'll either phone him, or email him....I'll let you know ;)

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:48 pm

Helena wrote: I don't see how being a faithful follower of the books equates a person as being a geek. I have read and followed the books, I. too was disapointed that these mistakes or errors occured. For example, the book ends much differently than the movie, they have left out a major part. I am sure it will happen in the third but I was very disappointed

Shelob, right? *sobbing*

And yes, we're not geeks, all the others are just missing the best part...

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:30 pm

:lol: I do make fun of geeks but I must confess if I had read the books I might be one of them, it's so cool! :wub:

Milla
Ultra Member

Postby Milla » Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:06 pm

i've read these books over, and over, and over, and over, and over....(trails off)

i love these books.

hmmm... i know i make fun of them but i just might be one of them.(a geek)

Milla

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:15 pm

:lol: lucky you!! I am jus a "potential geek" I could be one but I haven't read enough.......I respect you girls :notworthy:

:lol:

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:06 pm

I saw the movie. Again. For the second time. Awsome, amazing, wonderful. Ad Orlando Bloom can do me anyday. Elf or human

Milla
Ultra Member

Postby Milla » Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:25 pm

i've seen it 3 times. and i still end up having drool an the front of my shirt when i come out of the theatre.
i'm so stupid. why do i drool when i know that me and orlando can never be??why??? because i love him....
hear that???if you didn't, here it is again:
IIIII LOOOOOVVVEEEE ORLANDO BLOOM!!!!!!!!!!

love,
milla

Milla
Ultra Member

Postby Milla » Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:27 pm

and i'm not a geek. i don't want to be one. please, i haven't read it that many times!
only like 3 times. (i know...)

Milla

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:10 am

Its taken me a year to read the first two books. They are just too deep. I plan on reading them again. I saw the movie alone and I plan on going a third time. They showed the WB special tonight, man he rocks (Orlando) and seems to be a real dare devil.

I loved Dom. You said bossam.

Milla
Ultra Member

Postby Milla » Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:31 am

so, you saw the wb thing too? i felt like an idiot because no one i knew had. but i don't feel lonely anymore.
yeup, orlando can have me any day.

lotsoflove,
milla

Helena
Abstracts Royalty

Postby Helena » Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:52 pm

Yea Orlando is a hottie. Watching the extended DVD, his talking voice sent shivers down my spine. He really is something else.

laura l
Supreme Member

Postby laura l » Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:26 pm

HEY GIRLS!!!!!! I've just phoned my flatmate Jake and asked him where in the film did the guy do the mistake I told you about, and he said this:

Towards the end of the Fellowship, the guy with the red hair who wanted the ring so bad (Froddo meets his brother in TTT) is shot by an arrow. He is on the floor in the woods and Aragorn runs towards him, at that moment you see in the background one of the guys who is suppose to pretend to be dead, he starts moving then realises the scene is not over yet, so he lays again and pretends to be dead.

I hope this was clear enough, if any of you sees it, let me know!!! thanks :)

Milla
Ultra Member

Postby Milla » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:13 am

the one were boromir is dying???
i tink i know what youre talking about, yeah.
i'll watch it after all my posts are done.

thanx :D

iluvorlandobloom

Postby iluvorlandobloom » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:32 pm

Milla wrote: i've seen it 3 times. and i still end up having drool an the front of my shirt when i come out of the theatre.
i'm so stupid. why do i drool when i know that me and orlando can never be??why??? because i love him....
hear that???if you didn't, here it is again:
IIIII LOOOOOVVVEEEE ORLANDO BLOOM!!!!!!!!!!

I saw it once on the first day...and then twice in a row yesterday. You are not alone, I have The Fellowship memorized and I STILL drool :drool: :drool: :drool: (especially during the special features. yummmm!!!! :wub: :smlove: :kiss2: :hug: :lick: :lickout: :kiss: :blowkiss: yumyumyumyummyyumyumyum!!!!! :yum:

iluvorlandobloom

Postby iluvorlandobloom » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:37 pm

Helena wrote: And Orlando Bloom can do me anyday. Elf or human

ooh, of course! Damn, he's sexy with the ears and the hair (but just as good without)... :drool: i like that emoticon... :drool: hahaha...

iluvorlandobloom

Postby iluvorlandobloom » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:45 pm

AAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!! MY LOTR DVD IS MISSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! SAVE ME FROM THIS HORROR, ORLANDO! I ONLY HAVE THE EXTRAS!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nervous: :no: :shocked: :cry: :blink: :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:37 pm

Helena wrote: Its taken me a year to read the first two books. They are just too deep. I plan on reading them again. I saw the movie alone and I plan on going a third time. They showed the WB special tonight, man he rocks (Orlando) and seems to be a real dare devil.

I loved Dom. You said bossam.

I like this documentary, too! Especially that part.... and the Dominic part that you mention...OMG.... I'm actually a fan of Dominic, some of the girls may know... And he just happened to play the most cunning hobbit of the four...

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:44 pm

And actually I'm re-reading "The Hobbit" again, no matter for which time. I don't care even if I win the geek competition.

Milla
Ultra Member

Postby Milla » Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:25 am

you go, girl! (i know that sounded cheesy)

re-read it over and over again! and don't listen to what other people say! i read it alot of times.

Claire
Supreme Member

Postby Claire » Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:41 pm

Oh, I love it , too. It's good for kids also I think. It's more universal than LOTR, they're more serious.

Oh, and I especially like the Gollum part! First: Bilbo was cheating! This is not a riddle, it's a question. Second: Gollum is great when he's nervous and that gave Bilbo a chance. Well written part.

a~GuRl~In*LuV*

Postby a~GuRl~In*LuV* » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:28 pm

[FONT=Geneva][COLOR=blue]
i kan kinda c where that writer iz cumin frum...... there were kinda a lotta mistakes made in the movie that made a lotta ppl upset... including me. i luved it as a movie, but it wasn't really the two towers... the storyline wuz the same, but that was about it...
ya oki doki sorri 4 buttin into ur "conversation" but ya.... ok bai bai

Return to “Orlando Bloom”