Orlando Bloom Visits 'late Night W/ Conan O'brien'

Postby admin » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:44 am

>> Conan: Everybody, we're back. It's all good. My first guest -- my first guest has starred in "the lord of the rings" movies and "pirates of the caribbean: The curse of the black pearl." Well, beginning july 7th, you can see him in "pirates of the caribbean: Dead man's chest." Thrilled to have him here tonight. Please welcome orlando bloom.

[ Screams and applause ]

>> Conan: How you doing?

>> Good, man.

>> Conan: Ladies -- they're so excited to see both of us.

[ Laughter ] First of all, we've got to talk about this movie because this has been such a highly anticipated movie. And I'll get to that in a second. But first, I want to get your impressions. We've been talking a little bit on the show about world cup.

>> Yeah, yeah.

>> Conan: In a very serious manner.

>> Yeah.

[ Laughter ] You're a very serious guy.

>> Conan: Yeah! World cup, this is -- this is huge for you and for everyone in your country, is that not right?

>> Yeah, absolutely. Everyone comes out of their houses into the streets watching the games in mostly pubs, you know.

>> Conan: Right. Now, is it difficult for you then to be here during the world cup? Is that hard for you?

>> It was. It was a shame to leave home and come out. I have to say, because I missed, like, the last game because I was doing press for "pirates," which sort of sucked.

>> Conan: Right.

>> But tomorrow, I am not missing tomorrow's game.

>> Conan: Right, right.

>> Because that's the big one for england you know.

>> Conan: Yeah, it's england versus --

>> Portugal.

>> Conan: Portugal. Is it -- do you understand -- it must be strange because it's such a -- people get so fanatic about it in england and then you come to this country and they're sort of -- you must be having to yell at people, "can you turn to world cup?" Because they're watching "knight rider" or something.

[ Laughter ]

>> Exactly. Exactly. Well, you guys were out in the first round, which was a real shame. You know, I mean, it's --

>> Conan: I think you should go. I think you should go.

[ Laughter ]

>> I know, it's --

>> Conan: No, you know, we're just not -- we, you know, don't have our soccer legs yet.

>> Biggest country in the world, you know, should have the best team in the world. You'd think, really, wouldn't you? You don't get football, don't dig soccer at all, do you?

>> Conan: Well, you know what, it's not -- I don't know. Like, when I was kid, no one was playing soccer, you know?

>> Yeah.

>> Conan: And now, I think we're -- I think it's going to take us a long time --

>> They came up against, you know, a hard game. Who was it? It was italy that took them out, right?

>> Conan: But we're just not as good, though. We're just not as good. We'll admit that. Right?

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Yes. You're such good sportsmen.

>> Conan: At soccer.

>> It doesn't make sense to me because, you know, generally america's fantastically fit, such good sportsmen. I mean, american football is like -- that's like -- I don't know, that completely goes over the top of my head. You stop every three minutes, but they've got to be pretty fit, right?

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: So you trash our soccer team --

[ Laughter ] And now you're going after --

>> No, no, no.

>> Conan: Our national sport. How do you like our system of democracy?

[ Laughter ] Well, okay, I want to ask you something.

>> What I'm saying is they're all really fit, you know? I mean --

>> Conan: Yes, yes, yes. Well, here's what I want to say. I think we have to become as fanatic about soccer as people in other countries. And then I think we will develop -- I think that's the secret. I think you have to care as much.

>> Yes.

>> Conan: And I think, for example, you should invite a lot of americans with you when you watch this game so we can pick up on your enthusiasm.

>> Absolutely. Everybody, come along. Come and watch.

>> Conan: We heard.

[ Cheers and applause ] We're all going to --

>> You just got to support england, that's the only way.

>> Conan: Well, I'm portugal all the way.

[ Laughter ] I'm sorry. But -- no. I mean, like, if I came with you -- let's say I came with you and we were watching it together in the pub, would it be annoying? Would you think you'd be able to get me into the excitement of the sport or it'll be annoying 'cause I'd be saying, "why are they handing him a blue card? What does it mean?"

[ Laughter ]

>> Well, there wouldn't be a blue card because there's only red or yellow. But, anyway.

[ Laughter ] The only thing you would have to do if you came to watch soccer --

>> Conan: I'm quite sure there's a blue card!

[ Laughter ] I'm going to the mat on this one. Blue is if it looks like rain.

[ Laughter ] They have a blue card.

>> Yeah, really?

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Yes, I'm quite certain. Don't question me about soccer 'cause I know all about it!

[ Light laughter ] No, okay, I'm an ass.

>> The only thing you'd have to do is drink a lot of beer, really.

>> Conan: That's the point.

>> Drink a lot of beer, sing a lot of songs.

>> Conan: See, that I could get into. Yeah.

>> Exactly, it's a great --

>> Conan: I'd be drunk.

[ In drunken slur ] "I love you, orlando."

[ Laughter ] All right, well, we're going to get into it. You know, I have to mention something else. You -- this is fascinating to me. You, like a lot of people, a lot of young men, you went to acting school.

>> Mm-hmm.

>> Conan: And then you -- you come out of acting school and immediately you get "the lord of the rings" trilogy. And you've just been on fire ever since then. It's just a remarkable story.

>> It really is. Really, really is.

>> Conan: What's your relationship like with the other people in that acting class?

[ Laughter ] Like, "come on, where's my trilogy? Where's my biggest movie trilogy of all time?

[ Laughter ] I took the course."

>> No, they were really sweet. I mean, I actually broke my back in the second year of drama school, so I had a lot of, like, I suppose it was like, "oh, you deserve a break." You know.

>> Conan: But that's only going to last you so long. Because now that you were in the "pirates of the caribbean" franchise, which is huge, you still can't go back to that acting class, "oh, my back."

[ Laughter ] Right?

>> Yeah, right.

>> Conan: So, too bad for orlando, right?

[ Laughter ] Can you hang on for one second? We have a lot to talk about. We'll be back. More with orlando bloom in just a second. Stick around.

[ Cheers and applause ]

[ Cheers and applause ]

>> Conan: We're back. We're sitting here with orlando bloom. Okay. "Pirates of the caribbean" -- one of the great things I would think about making these movies -- you've made two of them now, and is there gonna be a third?

>> Yeah, there's another one. We did two and three back-to-back. We haven't finished the third, but yeah.

>> Conan: So one of the great things is that you -- I watch these movies, and they're so well made, and they're beautifully done. And then I also love just the location. It just seems that would be a great -- you're always filming in these exotic locations in the caribbean. Isn't that right?

>> Yeah, it's fantastic. And I think that's -'s right. 'Cause it really does translate. I think the sea, the ocean, the color of the water. We went to, like, some really beautiful islands in the caribbean this time. Last time we were just in st. Vincent. And the crew has done -- what we could have done is done in valverdes or something.

>> Conan: Right. But being in st. Vincent, you got to meet --

>> Because the water was one color, but we were in, like, in exumas, it was turquoise. It was beautiful. And a big crew there. It's really expensive, but I think it's all up on the screen. You really see. You can really feel that the crew's there. It's a cool thing. And then in your downtime, you get to go snorkeling, scuba diving and doing cool stuff.

>> Conan: And you also get to meet -- did you meet heads of state, I guess, when you were in st. Vincent? Is that right?

>> Yeah. We met the prime minister of st. Vincent. We flew down. This is the first movie. We flew in. Me and jonny depp's flown down there on a private plane and everything. And I hitched a ride with him. We just got loaded on the plane. I mean, we were wasted, drunk.

[ Laughter ] Red wine. He loves really good red wine.

>> Conan: Mm-hmm.

>> We got wasted. And we get off the plane. And we had no idea, but they rolled out the red carpet, and the prime minister is there to meet us.

>> Conan: Marching band and stuff.

>> Johnny just, like, stumbles over to him, and, like, hugs, almost sticks his tongue down his throat.

[ Laughter ] They're rolling around, like, picking up things around, like, johnny's assistant. It was just one of those things where you go -- 'cause you just didn't expect it.

>> Conan: No one told you. I love that idea. "Here they are, and strike up the music."

[ Conan wrenching ]

>> It was one of those moments. You just go, "how did that happen?"

>> Conan: Now, of course, johnny depp made this, you know, risky acting choice that just paid off big-time with his character, where he -- it's an effeminate pirate that he's playing.

>> It is.

>> Conan: But it works.

>> Amongst other things, yes.

>> Conan: But it kind of works. And I guess there's some historical accuracy to maybe his portrayal of a possibly gay pirate.

>> You know, johnny does a lot of research on characters, so I'm sure he probably went out there and really sort of experienced what it was like to be on the open sea with a bunch of men, so --

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Say no more. Yeah, yeah.

>> I wouldn't like to comment. No, he's honestly a lynchpin, man. It was quite nerve-racking reading the first script because there were two characters, written pretty kinda as swashbuckling pirates, you know. It was like two swashbuckling kind of dudes. And I'm thinking, "how am I gonna do this?" 'Cause johnny's the dude, and I've got to sort of -- and then he came on set with the captain jack. And it was just like, "great, I'll be the straight guy."

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Right. "You'll go that way, I'll go this way."

>> "You do it all, and I'll just be over here somewhere."

>> Conan: We have a clip here from "pirates of the caribbean," the latest. What do we need to know for this clip?

>> Hmm. I think --

>> Conan: You're in a tough situation.

>> Am I hanging off a pole?

>> Conan: I believe you are, yes.

>> Well, I'm hanging off a pole. We're at cannibal village, cannibal islands. And johnny's being cool, and he's gonna get burnt on a stake and roasted and eaten if I don't sort of save him. There's a quite funny story. I'll you about it after the clip.

>> Conan: All right. Let's take a look at this clip from "pirates of the caribbean: Dead man's chest."

[ Cannibal speaking native ]

>> Jack, it's me -- will turner.

>> How's it go?

[ Cannibals speaking native ]

>> Tell them to let me down.

[ Jack speaking native ]

[ Light laughter ]

[ Applause ]

>> It's so funny. I got to tell you. The line just after that is, he goes, "ah, eunuchi. Oh, eunuchi." 'Cause he started this whole gag in the first one, where I'm a eunuch with a high voice. He's taking a dig at me. So and then he goes -- "ball licki licki!" And "ball licki licki" is the cue for them all to go off and roast us. It's "ball licki licki!" And it's actually "ball licky licky."

[ Laughter ] "Ah, eunuchi. Ball licki licki."

[ Laughter ]

>> Conan: Okay.

>> Right. Anyway.

[ Laughter ] We found it quite funny, but then we'd all en on a caribbean island for far too long. It was the only thing that kept up going.

>> Conan: You'd been into johnny's red wine for too long. "Pirate of the caribbean: Dead man's chest" opens july 7th, and everyone's looking forward to this. Orlando, very cool to have you here. Thanks for making time for us
admin
Supreme Member

Return to Orlando Bloom